Can you believe it is already that time of the year again where your children are going back to school? It is crazy to think that summer time is already over and we are getting into the nitty gritty of things, and most importantly, back into a solid routine. No more late summer nights spent playing outside or weekends spent by the ocean.

As with all good things, they must come to an end. However, one thing that should never come to an end is taking care of your dental hygiene! For both adults and kiddos, these 5 dental tips will help everyone get back into a solid routine as everyone heads back to school.

  1. Create a Routine!
    1. When solid routines are in place, you tend to not forget to do things such as brushing your teeth and flossing twice a day. This is because your subconcious mind begins to take over and you just automatically do things without ever really realizing it. For example, have you hopped in your car and the next thing you know, you are at your destination after almost feeling like you were daydreaming? It is the same exact concept, your subconscious took over - pretty cool, right? So, be sure to create a routine that works best for you and your children that will be effortless to follow.
  2. Get an Adequate Amount of Sleep
    1. A lot of people don’t think about sleep having an impact on your dental health, but it surely does! When you do not get an adequate amount of sleep, a minimum of 7 hours for adults and even more for children, it can lead to increased fatigue throughout the day. With increased fatigue, individuals tend to go for less healthy and more sugary snacks which takes a toll on your dental health.
  3. Maintain a Healthy Diet
    1. Speaking of sugar snacks, this leads us into our third tip - maintaining a healthy diet! Eating too much sugary foods can lead to cavities and tooth decay. A good rule of thumb to follow is the 80/20 rule which means 80% of the time you make healthy and nutritious choices whereas the other 20% of the time you get to enjoy your favorite treats.
  4. Water, Water, and More Water!
    1. We all know how important drinking water is, but did you ever think that it could affect the health of your teeth? By drinking lots of water, you can remove unwanted bacteria as well as reduce the buildup of plaque. Everyone should drink a minimum of half their body weight in ounces of water each and every day. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds, you should drink a minimum of 50 ounces of water in a day. An easy way to ensure you hit your daily water intake is to have a glass of water before every meal and snack.
  5. Schedule your Regular Dental Visits
    1. Last but not least, schedule your regular dental visits! Everyone should see the dentist a minimum of two times each and every year to remove any plaque and tarter buildup. This will also help to address any issues before they become worse. To schedule your appointment, you can book online or call our office at (863) 967-7548.